4th Edition Campaign
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
4th Edition Campaign

R.I.P Hardcorp Doomcocks

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wizard Spellbook

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kyden

Kyden

Character sheet
Current Character Name:
Hit Dice:
XP to Next Level:
Wizard Spellbook Left_bar_bleue0/0Wizard Spellbook Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Wizard Spellbook Empty
PostSubject: Wizard Spellbook   Wizard Spellbook Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 2:30 pm

I have been having doubts on my spellbook, so I went searching the forums on other sites to see if people had the same problem. If you aren't aware, Wizards get to add one extra daily or utility spell to their spellbook everytime a daily or utility spell is offered. They don't get to cast any extra spells mind you, but they do have versatility, and can memorize different spells each time after an extended rest.

My confusion was what constituted as a daily, encounter, or utility. What I have come up with is the follows:

For level one, you are offered three distinct categories of powers; At-Wills, Encounter, and Daily.

The wizard automatically gets to pick (2) Daily spells or Utility to add to their spellbook, only one of which they can cast per day.

Now, at level two, the unique category is titled Utility Spells. But, two of the utility spells are encounter powers, and two are dailies.

So, my understanding is I can pick any (2) of those powers, again only one can be used per day/encounter, to add to my spellbook.

My original beef was that the encounter powers wouldn't be offered as spellbook entries because they are not dailies, or utilities. However, for level two the category you are offered,is Utility Powers. So I'm assuming all four powers are considered utility.

At level three you'll see, the category is titled 'Encounter Powers," which means I won't get to add any extra spells to my spellbook for level three.

Am I correct?
Back to top Go down
Dean

Dean

Character sheet
Current Character Name: The DM
Hit Dice: 99
XP to Next Level:

Wizard Spellbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizard Spellbook   Wizard Spellbook Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 5:11 pm

This confused me reading it....However going to the book. Actually first I think I see where you are going wrong. It is exactly as it states you are getting throw by the attack spells and utility spells. Just because a power is only used for an encounter doesn't mean it's an "encounter power" so to speak, since that is basically code for attack spell.

"Daily and Utility Spells: Your spellbook also
holds your daily and utility spells. You begin knowing
two daily spells, one of which you can use on any given
day. Each time you gain a level that lets you select a
daily spell or a utility spell, choose two different daily
spells or utility spells of that level to add to your book.
After an extended rest, you can prepare a number of
daily and utility spells according to what you can cast
per day for your level. You can’t prepare the same spell
twice" -
Ok so, check out your 1st level shit you got the At-Wills(but not an "extra" stored in the spell book) and you got a level 1 encounter spell, look at those like Chill Strike; top right it says "Wizard Attack 1" ok so this is an attack spell that you can't "store" an extra of in your book. Level 2 Utility spells look at the top right there it says Wizard Utility 2. There is your answer, even though the SPELL can only be used once per encounter it is considered a utility spell.

Look at level 2 they change back to Attack spells. Then Level 5 you get dailies which while being Attack spells are special and you can "store" one.

Ok well hope that made sense cuz it IS kinda weird. But bottom line right now you should be carrying:
2 at wills (3 if you are human), 1 encounter, 2 daily (1 is stored in your book), and 2 Utilities (1 is stored).
Back to top Go down
Kyden

Kyden

Character sheet
Current Character Name:
Hit Dice:
XP to Next Level:

Wizard Spellbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizard Spellbook   Wizard Spellbook Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 5:57 pm

Well, level two says Utility Spells, not attack spells. So the two that are encounters are still Utility. That's my understanding. I already know the at-wills and aattacks don't count, just wanted to make sure that all four powers under level two are Utility, regardless of encounter or not.
Back to top Go down
Dean

Dean

Character sheet
XP to Next Level:

Wizard Spellbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizard Spellbook   Wizard Spellbook Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 10:45 pm

You are looking at the wrong thing I think. Look at the top right hand of the boxes it tells you what type of spell it is, regardless of how much you can use it (at-will, daily, enc.)
In this case, Yes you get 2 choices off that level 2 list (1 to use 1 stored)
Back to top Go down
Kyden

Kyden

Character sheet
Current Character Name:
Hit Dice:
XP to Next Level:

Wizard Spellbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizard Spellbook   Wizard Spellbook Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 11:23 pm

Yea, thats what I was looking at. The spells themselves say Wizard Utility but also the category above says Level 2 Utility Powers.

Basically I am taking on encounter power, and I'm storing Feather Fall in my book, which is a daily only spell, in case it ever comes up.
Back to top Go down
Dean

Dean

Character sheet
XP to Next Level:

Wizard Spellbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizard Spellbook   Wizard Spellbook Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 11:22 am

Just try and remember to make it known if you are switching to another one or whatever so you don't say ok I cast Feather Fall and have to explain how you had it ready.
Back to top Go down
Kyden

Kyden

Character sheet
Current Character Name:
Hit Dice:
XP to Next Level:

Wizard Spellbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizard Spellbook   Wizard Spellbook Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 3:17 pm

Dean wrote:
Just try and remember to make it known if you are switching to another one or whatever so you don't say ok I cast Feather Fall and have to explain how you had it ready.

Yea of course. I created a spreadsheet to help keep myself aware of which spells are available and which are just extras.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wizard Spellbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizard Spellbook   Wizard Spellbook Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wizard Spellbook
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4th Edition Campaign :: Mechanics and Resources :: Mechanics-
Jump to: